From Consumer Labs:
On November 17, 2015, Health Canada (the Canadian equivalent of the FDA) warned that a consumer in Canada who purchased and used herbal supplements from a U.S.-based website was treated for heavy metal poisoning. The following supplements were tested and all five were found to contain high levels of the heavy metals lead. Brahmi Vati Buddhivardhak and Bruhat Vata Chintamani Rasa were also found to contain high levels of mercury and arsenic.
Ingestion of excessive amounts of heavy metals poses serious health risks because they may accumulate in vital organs of the body. Children are most susceptible to the toxic effects. Symptoms of lead toxicity include abdominal pain, headache, changes in blood pressure, dizziness, kidney and brain damage. Arsenic may cause stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle cramping, tingling and loss of movement.
The supplements, which are not licensed for sale in Canada, currently appear to be available for purchase from various websites. The supplements are listed below:
- Brahmi Vati Buddhivardhak (OM Pharmaceuticals LTD., Marketed by: Shree Dhootapapeshwar LTD.)
- Bruhat Vata Chintamani Rasa (Shree Dhootapapeshwar LTD.)
- Chandraprabha Vati (The Art of Living)
- Punarnavadi Mandoor (HerbsForever, USA)
- Yogaraja Guggulu (HerbsForever, USA)
- Reviewed by La Mer Integrative & Behavioral Medical Group Treatment Team: Jerry Bruns MD, Indarjit Singh MD, Douglas Peterson PhD, Debbie Herrera NP, Tisha Sheikh MD